*U.S. addresses only
ISBN: 978-1-941825-65-5; 1-941825-65-6
Samples: Table of Contents ------- Text Sample
Michael Corum, a leading author on books specifically for federal supervisors and managers, provides prescriptive guidance on how to successfully navigate through that minefield of dealing with issues that every federal supervisor will encounter in his or her career: employee disability and other medical concerns. The Federal Supervisor’s Guide to Workplace Disability and Accommodations gives federal supervisors and managers step by step guidance on dealing with those medical issues that require close and immediate supervisory involvement. The focus of the book is on the legalities, practicalities, strategies, and tactics for handling those medical issues that qualify as disabilities under the Rehabilitation Act and Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) regulations. However, it goes beyond that and covers those issues that are not ADA disabilities, e.g., medical problems that do not qualify as disabilities, medical issues in hiring, medical-related disciplinary and performance actions, and related OWCP issues.
The book covers:
- Basic requirements of the disability laws governing federal civil service (Rehabilitation Act and ADA amendments—definition of a "qualified individual with a disability"
- Dealing with performance or conduct only
- How employees raise the disability issue
- Determining whether to treat medical issues as disabilities under ADA
- Interactive dialogue with employee—legal requirements, strategies, tactics, and necessary gamesmanship
- Deciding whether to accommodate—when to invoke "undue hardship"
- Agency resources to assist management
- Disability discrimination complaints and common issues—harassment, medical information, medical examinations, disparate treatment
- Agency options when employee accommodation requests are not fulfilled—dealing with absenteeism, medical examinations, performance and conduct; adverse actions based on medical conditions
- Medical issues in hiring
- Medical issues on the job
- OWCP issues that relate to disability issues
- Disability retirement options
Includes a detailed table of contents.